Sunday, February 7, 2010

Great Things Happen on Sundays


Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Is 6:1-2a, 3-8

Isaiah tempts us with slivers of an image. We have to construct the picture. I imagine a world of candles and rugs-- dust and echos. Perhaps in your mind's eye you too can conjure an image from a database of Indiana Jones adventures or dusty National Geographics. Imagine what it might have smelled like-- the humidity and hint of incense. Now imagine THIS--

A billowing, floating white fabric train, set against and filling a dark cavernous hall, translucent figures swirling abuzz overhead-- and THEN:

"Holy, Holy Holy Lord -- All the Earth is filled with His Glory!"

The doorpost shook and hall filled with smoke. This was real, and this was terrifying.

I don't know about you-- but I think that that is the point where I would have completely lost it. In fact, that is exact what Isaiah did. He lost it. He fell to his knees in fear. I imagine this was the kind of gushing fear that causes your chest to hurt on account of the thrashing of your heart going wild. Isaiah was in the presence of the Creator of the Universe. He knew that he was not worthy. But in response to Isaiah's humility, God reached out to Isaiah through the seraphim who touched his lips and purged his sin.

Then God said, "Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?" Isaiah said:


"Here I am, send me."

What Isaiah saw with his eyes, we see with our eyes of faith. Each time we approach the Holy Eucharist, we understand the enormity of what Isaiah faced. With the contrite spirit of a sinner, we approach the Creator in awe and with the same humble heart --"holy, holy, holy Lord.... God of power and might. Heaven and Earth are full of Your glory."

This is the time we are at our most vulnerable-- when our souls are open and exposed. This is the most intimate embrace. Our souls reach out, and we lay our head on the breast of Our Lord, and say-- "here I am, send me."

No comments:

Post a Comment